Healthy Benefits of Going to a Spa
You might think that going to spas is just for extravagant leisure. Yes, it’s a place to unwind and relax after a hard day at work. But did you know that you get surprising health benefits when you spend some time in a spa? If you’ve never gone to a spa, you should and you will be a lot healthier.
Improve Your Overall Health
- Going to a spa is a great way to eliminate stress. You can get a one-hour therapeutic massage or a soothing sauna bath. The trained experts from the spa and the services they offer can help relieve your muscle aches.
You can know which part of your body need extra care. A spa massage therapist can help you identify which muscles of your body are tense and give you a bit of advice on how to relax those muscles at home.
Having a body massage stimulates the release of serotonin, a hormone that makes a person feel good. That’s why it helps to calm the mind and soul.
- Look good and boost your confidence. When you go to a local spa, don’t worry for a while and just pamper yourself. Have a facial therapy massage, a manicure, a pedicure and a foot scrub. There are also services like body wraps and skin exfoliation that you can avail. These won’t just make you look and feel good physically. You could also feel your self-esteem rise a notch higher.
- A sauna bath can help get rid of toxins from your body. Excess fluid in the body can lead to water retention and bloating. Exposing the body to sauna heat can stimulate blood circulation and the lymphatic system. It can cause sweating thereby eliminating excess body water. At the same time, toxins can also be eliminated through sweat.
Get Relief from Pain Due to Illness
- When you have arthritis, one of the things you can do to get relief from joint pain is soaking in a hot tub or spa. The warm bubbly water can help improve blood circulation and decompress the joints thus reducing swelling and inflammation. It can be a good alternative therapy for low back pain, fibromyalgia and other musculoskeletal conditions.
- Hydrotherapy can help diabetics control their blood sugar levels. Studies show a reduction of 10 to 15 percent in blood sugar level among patients.
- Relaxing the muscles and joints through spas and hot tubs is beneficial to people with cerebral palsy, mutiple sclerosis and other debilitating muscle diseases.
- For people who have problem sleeping, warm hydrotherapy can make it easy for them to go to sleep because it helps the body to relax and have good blood circulation.
Now you know how beneficial going to the spa is for your health. It doesn’t just make you feel physically good, it also helps to relieve the pain and aches brought about by certain diseases. So be good to yourself and schedule an appointment with a local spa center.
Photo credit: By IQP (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons