Healthy Alternatives to Drinking Sodas
Drinking sodas may satisfy your thirst, but it does not give the vitamins and minerals that alternative healthy drinks do. Moreover, studies show that drinking soft drinks is associated with many health risks. Read on to find out why you should avoid sodas and what healthy beverages you can drink instead.
Reasons for Avoiding Sodas
No Nutritional Value
Sodas do not do anything good to your body. That is really the major reason why you shouldn’t drink it. Sodas are basically made of sugar and water and it does not have any nutritional value. The same goes with so called diet sodas. They don’t have any nutritional value; they just have low to zero calories and sugar. Whereas when you drink healthy beverages, you get some vitamins and minerals. Otherwise, just drink plain water to rehydrate your body.
Causes Obesity and Diabetes
Another reason for avoiding sugary sodas is its contribution to the development of obesity and diabetes. The consumption of soda, which contains high-fructose corn syrup, is associated to obesity. It is also associated to type 2 diabetes and affects the body’s hormones. Diet soda isn’t any better, though it has low to zero calories. One study showed that the artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas have been linked to greater appetite, difficulty in losing weight and maintaining weight after shedding off pounds.
Too much soda can damage your teeth. When the sugar from soda drinks mixes with the bacteria in your mouth, acid forms that can weaken your tooth enamel, cause cavities and tooth dec9p;’ay.
Soda consumption can possibly cause weak and brittle bones. Experts believe that the phosphorus and caffeine present in sodas contribute to the development of osteoporosis. In addition, many soda drinkers tend not to drink milk, thus getting less of the calcium that is necessary for strong bones.
Other Health Problems
Soda can cause problems in the major organs of your body. Research studies show some connection between soda consumption and chronic kidney disease, fatty liver, metabolic syndrome and chronic liver disease.
Healthy Drinks Better Than Sodas
Now, don’t despair just because you are limiting yourself from drinking sodas. Here are some healthy alternatives to drinking sodas.
- Water is the best and it’s free. It will keep you refreshed without any added calories.
- Fruit juices contain a lot of sugar. What you can do is drink some juice with seltzer for a twist. Or better yet, eat a whole fresh fruit so you get dietary fiber, too.
- Milk is a very important health drink for kids, because it provides calcium and other essential nutrients. For adults, nonfat milk is a good alternative. An 8-ounce glass contains 80 calories only.
- Tea, whether green, black or herbal, are all known to contain antioxidants, which help protect the body cells from free radical damage.
- Powdered drink mixes can satisfy your sweet tooth without the tooth-rotting carbonation. Look for the sugar-free mixes for a healthier treat.
As you have read, there are many healthy options you can choose over soda. When you avoid drinking sodas, you are making a good choice in taking care of your body. You can enjoy life more without having to deal with sickness.
Photo credits: American Soda by Alexander Kalser via Flickr, CC by 2.0