SIMPLE GLUCIDES PART 2
- Refined sugar spoliates the body in particular of vitamin B1. In order to be used and to produce energy, the glucose, once in cells needs vitamins of group B. Therefore, sugar consumption makes the body to use its own vitamin B reserves, with the risk of finish them.
- Sugar has an acidifying action because from its metabolism are produced acids to whose neutralization the body removes the calcium from bones and teeth. Therefore, sugar favors osteoporosis and tooth loosening. In the urine of people who consumed a lot of sugar is found a greater amount of calcium. And through oxalic acid, increased consumption of sugar may promote kidney stones.
The effect of sugar on teeth is done in two ways:
– Fermented sugar by microbes in the mouth gives birth to acids that attacks healthy teeth enamel;
– Dentin is crossed by numerous fine ducts, through which circulates a liquid. This, starting from dent pulp, feeds the dentin and enamel. Sugar consumption slows the circulation in these ducts and, at least in part, tubules are covered. Dentin is no longer normal feeded. Researchers from University of Oulu in Finland have shown that feeding rich in sugar diminishes dentin formation.
- Increased sugar consumption disturbes the usage of protein, increasing the cholesterol and triglycerides, ie blood fats.
- Lab animals sugar and white flour feeding leads to kidney stones.
- People with ulcer know that sugar increases stomach acid.
- Often, acne emphasizes after sugar consumption.
- Increased consumption of sugar favors the emerge of liver, rectal and colic cancer.
- Finally, the German Automobile Club consider that sugar intake can boost car accidents. Between two and four hours after a appreciable dose of sugar, is installed an insulin hypersecretion, which lowers the hypoglycaemic below normal, leading to a insufficient brain feed, accompanied by sensation fatigue, lack of concentration, decrease of attention and reflexes speed, and a decrease in visual acuity. All these favors car accidents. So instead of sugary drinks or chocolate while driving is recommended raw carrots, bread or apples.
At the conclusion of this chapter, a tip that deserves to be followed: Avoid siesta after meals!
When idle, insulin has difficulty in introducing the glucose in muscle cells, because the energy supply is NOT requested is and NOT supported by muscles. As the glucose continues to be absorbed from the intestine, glycemia and insulin grow too. Energy and insulin exces causes a reduction in the number and effectiveness of the glucose receptor, which is expressed in the notion of “insulin resistance”.
Missing muscle activity to consume the glucose, there is a second effect of insulin: the synthesis of fatty acids and deposit of energy surplus as fat. Storing the glucose in the muscles and liver is made as glycogen, but that capacity is limited to about 1.5 kg. When the glycogen “tank” is filled, all glucose is converted into fat and the fats possibilities storage are apparently unlimited. And so it is that at the meetings after 20-30 years from high school graduation or college we barely recognize each other!